January 1st 2017. First and foremost I wish all of you a Happy New Year. A new chapter has begun. I hope for you that you fill it with adventures and memories you will look back on with a smile. 2016 ending obviously made me think about what all has happened in the past twelve months. One thing is for sure it flew by. 2016 has been a year in which I changed in more ways than I could have ever imagined. I didn’t just change, I also changed my life in every way possible. I can now honestly say that I am happy. I learned so incredibly much in 2016. About me, life, relationships I could go on for quite a while. In spirit of saying writing will make you actually do it, I’ll share the 16 things I learned in 2016 that will forever stick, at least that’s what I hope.
16 Things I learned in 2016
1. Taking care of myself is a priority. Not just physically but also mentally and emotionally. Taking my time to heal is important, necessary and something I should not deny myself.
2. Don’t wait for things to happen. Take action to make sure that things happen.
3. No is a complete sentence. There is no need to explain why I don’t want something. No means no, it is as simple as that.
4. Make sure that with every yes I say to others doesn’t mean I am saying no to myself. That disconnection needs to not happen anymore. It leads to my unhappiness, which is the wrong way to go.
5. I learned to take my time to think about what I want. It’s better to take some time thinking then to later regret the decisions I’ve made.
6. I learned to not only follow my head, but to listen to myself. To listen to my intuition. My gut feeling is often right and thus can save me a lot of trouble.
7. I learned to not let fear stop me from doing something I really want to do. In the end it is better to have a life of ‘’Oh wells’’ than a lot of ‘’What ifs’’. I already have a bunch of ‘’What ifs’’, it’s my time to live, to experience it all. Dare to do.
8. The quote that makes life simple: What Suzy said about Sally says more about Suzy than it does about Sally. In other words just mind your own business, engage in conversations that actually matter. That are stimulating, interesting and most importantly not about other people.
9. Be kind to myself. You know the motto, treat yourself! Take time for myself. Give myself a break, take myself on a date. Allow myself to stand still for a moment.
10. Being careful with my time. Time is the most precious thing I own. I should be spending it wisely by doing everything I want to do, not only what I have to do.
11. 2016 taught me to believe in myself. Fiercely and forcefully. To have a general believe that I can handle whatever comes my way. I am capable enough. Always have been, always will be. In the future I will be even more capable, because I’ll keep learning.
12. I learned that I create my own happiness. I am in full control of me being happy. It’s perfectly okay to take big steps towards my happiness. As long as I remember that happiness is not a goal. It is something that happens as I am occupied realizing my dreams.
13. Other people their opinions are really of zero importance. As long as I back my decision, all is good. I am the one that has to suffer or rejoice the consequences of every decision I make, nobody else. That’s why my opinion matters most.
14. I learned that focusing on myself in the sense of focusing on my goals makes me happy. Knowing what all I have the potential to reach is amazing. Also seeing it in reality, is even more amazing. What others are doing is not important, all that is important is what am I doing. Making dreams and reality one and the same.
15. It is not only important to love yourself. The love has to be unapologetically. Fall in love with yourself as well. Embrace who I am, flaws and all.
16. Last but certainly not least. It is me who is writing My Story of I. I hold the pen and nobody else, I’m in control of the outcome of my life. The outcome will be me, living out all my dreams.
That’s all folks; the 16 things I learned in 2016 that I will be taking with me in 2017. Are you ready for a new year?